Radiation Oncology Journal. 2016 ; 34/1 : 45 ~ 51
Hypofractionated intensity-modulated radiotherapy in patients with localized prostate cancer: a preliminary study
Hye Jin Kang, MD1, Chul-Seung Kay, MD1, Seok Hyun Son, MD1, Myungsoo Kim, MD1, In Young Jo, MD1, So Jung Lee, MD1, Dong Hwan Lee, MD2, Hong Jin Suh, MD2, Yong Sun Choi, MD2 and
Departments of 1Radiation Oncology and 2Urology, Incheon St. Mary's Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Incheon, Korea

Purpose: The aim of this work was to assess the efficacy and tolerability of hypofractionated intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in patients with localized prostate cancer.
Materials and Methods: Thirty-nine patients who received radical hypofractionated IMRT were retrospectively reviewed. Based on a pelvic lymph node involvement risk of 15% as the cutoff value, we decided whether to deliver treatment prostate and seminal vesicle only radiotherapy (PORT) or whole pelvis radiotherapy (WPRT). Sixteen patients (41%) received PORT with prostate receiving 45 Gy in 4.5 Gy per fraction in 2 weeks and the other 23 patients (59%) received WPRT with the prostate receiving 72 Gy in 2.4 Gy per fraction in 6 weeks. The median equivalent dose in 2 Gy fractions to the prostate was 79.9 Gy based on the assumption that the α/β ratio is 1.5 Gy.
Results: The median follow-up time was 38 months (range, 4 to 101 months). The 3-year biochemical failure-free survival rate was 88.2%. The 3-year clinical failure-free and overall survival rates were 94.5% and 96.3%, respectively. The rates of grade 2 acute genitourinary (GU) and gastrointestinal (GI) toxicities were 20.5% and 12.8%, respectively. None of the patients experienced grade ≥3 acute GU and GI toxicities. The grade 2-3 late GU and GI toxicities were found in 8.1% and 5.4% of patients, respectively. No fatal late toxicity was observed.
Conclusion: Favorable biochemical control with low rates of toxicity was observed after hypofractionated IMRT, suggesting that our radiotherapy schedule can be an effective treatment option in the treatment of localized prostate cancer
KEY WORD : Keywords: Prostate cancer, Intensity-modulated radiotherapy, Disease-free survival, Toxicity
서울 서대문구 연세로 50-1 연세의료원 광혜관 2층 방사선종양학교실내 (우.03722)
Tel: 02)471-5623   E-mail: kosro@kosro.or.kr
Copyright(c) The Korean Society for Radiation Oncology (KOSRO). ALL